Friday, November 17, 2006

Goals

Setting goals is an admirable exercise. Actually reaching those goals is even better. I set myself up this month by joining NANOWRIMO – that’s National Novel Writing Month (www.nanowrimo.com). The GOAL is to write every day and to reach 50,000 words by the end of the month. In order to do that, you should average 16,000+ words a day.

16,000 words…that’s approximately 15 pages a day. Sometimes I can sit down and write five pages before I literally feel as though my head will explode. Sometimes I can get twenty pages done and feel as though I’ve just started. Sometimes I stare at the computer and wonder what in the heck I was thinking by trying to write anything! Don’t get me wrong, setting writing goals are important. Feeling guilty about not reaching those goals is the hard part to get past.

However, the good thing about challenging myself to do the NANOWRIMO is that I did get a decent start. I actually wrote. I got past the writer’s block that has been plaguing me for some time and wrote…and it was GOOD{g}.

So, I’ll try it again. I may tank again, but I’ll try it anyway. And I’ll keep setting writing goals until I reach them. I’ll keep writing until I sell, and then I’ll keep writing until I can’t sell anything else.

I hope you get a chance to read what I’m writing someday. I hope it is soon.

No comments: