Friday, August 12, 2005

"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I'm happy. I can't figure it out. What am I doing right?" Charles Schulz


Maybe some of us are cut out for goals and motivational speakers and other things of that nature. And maybe some of us are better at wandering. Robert Frost told us about the "road less traveled" and I have always been inclined to agree with him on that. I'd rather forge my own way through the woods than follow someone else's footsteps.


Set me goals. Tell me my raise depends upon it. Tell me you wouldn't ask any more of this than your own children. Watch me mulishly kick my heels at you while my eyes flash in rebellion.


Tell me you want me to participate on a project. Tell me the state of the region depends upon my job. Tell me that you know I can do this because you have heard good things about me. Find a report you requested on your desk three days earlier than you expected.


I write the same way I work, I realize. I like to write. I like to write to get things done, but not because someone is breathing down my neck. I am fortunate in that Cai and I work well together in this type of thing. She is a very good goal setter and reacher. Yet she also follows her own path as she sees fit. She doesn't demand that I meet any specific goals other than to get my behind in the chair and write.


I find that when I write freely I breathe more freely. So when someone asks me what my purpose is? What my direction is? My aim? My meaning? I have to tell them... nothing.


  • I have no purpose other than to be be happy and to experience life.
  • I have no direction other than forward to find more experiences to share with my loved ones and to take in for future books.
  • I have no aim other than to reach for the stars in hopes that I might touch the moon just to see what it feels like.
  • And I have no meaning other than what I mean to myself. What I mean to my loved ones. What I mean to those important to me.


Other than that? Who cares? I mean really? What is the importance of someone else knowing where I am going? Am I not the captain of my own ship? Am I not in charge of my own life? To those of you so involved in running other people's life, or is that ruining, go do yourself the biggest favor ever.


GET A LIFE OF YOUR OWN!


You will be much happier!

No comments: